AuthorMessage
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar
Title : Homura-chan's selfishness

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 pm

SockPuppet wrote:
It has ~20+ first person pronouns, just by choosing the pronoun the character is using referring to themselves, the writer can define character's personalityXD

At least a small facet of it  Cute Kitty
Back to top Go down
http://alvaro84.deviantart.com/
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar
Title : Holy Knight Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 am

Yes, indeed. Generally I feel English has a little flat and boring vocabulary. But at the very least it is easy to learn and has little characters. No offense to English/American people. 

Japanese is so poetic. And I like how German sounds though many people do not like it. But when you see a masked man with deep, scary voice, speaking German. This is so scenic XD

BTW in Polish 'facet' means 'guy'. I was reading about MagiReco and there are familiars called Kirico Keepers (kiriko jp=facet eng) and I wondered if it means 'keepers of guys' what kind of guys are they supposed to keep XD. But seriously, how can one actually keep facets o.O
Back to top Go down
http://skarpetkowa.tumblr.com/
The Witch's House
Grief Seed

The Witch's House

Grief Seed
Title : The Witch Maker

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 am

I have finally completed a whole new witch for my project~ Her name is Margarete:
Members' fanwork - Page 3 551f19715761b91634ba857984ff7d9e-dc176tu

Bio~

I even got a magical girl to go with her :D
Back to top Go down
https://felis-licht.deviantart.com/
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 am

SockPuppet wrote:
Yes, indeed. Generally I feel English has a little flat and boring vocabulary. But at the very least it is easy to learn and has little characters. No offense to English/American people. 

Japanese is so poetic. And I like how German sounds though many people do not like it. But when you see a masked man with deep, scary voice, speaking German. This is so scenic XD

Hm. I don't think that English is flat or boring or otherwise limited. I've been slowly learning it for the last three decades and I still have A LOT to learn but I can already see that my writings sometimes look better in English than their Hungarian original. Of course sometimes the English version is faint or even awkward in comparison but I'm quite sure I could do better if I knew more.

But there are a lot of proverbs and idioms that don't exist in both languages. My writings diverge a bit here and there. There are things that sound better in one language and there are ones that are just better in the other. I think I'm pretty good at Hungarian (I should be) and I only strive to approach that level in English. But both languages are well suited for abstract and artistic writing.

Japanese, well, I don't know enough to judge it. Only thing I can definitely say that English pronunciation is terrible for dubbing anime. Japanese voice actors sound incomparably better. And Japanese itself sounds okay too. I find its structure a bit strange but Japanese can understand each other so I presume it has a completely sound structure. 

[Opposed to their writing system that doesn't suit their own language and is only good to turn everyday communication into making and solving elaborate riddles. They would be better off with only the *kana part. If they had listened to the ladies now they'd have a clean, logical, unambiguous writing system that wouldn't take many years of their lives to master.]

Deep, scary German voice? Do you know Rammstein? One of their songs had a great influence on the 14th chapter of my previous work Girls Of Science Era. The song is Haifisch which means shark.
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

I was talking about the guy talking in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c88RIvvsafw

I love Japanese writing system and the language in general! The perfect language to write poetry/song lyrics! And the characters are so pretty!

And the witch is cool as well!
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 am

One might love the system, the characters may be pretty (they doubtlessly are!) but the whole thing is like a badly written three-decade-old code that was ported to four operating systems and a dozen of APIs over the years by people who didn't really understand it but were ordered to extend it to do things that are absolutely unrelated to its purpose Cheeky Angel

Seriously, it's a bigger mess than today's x86 instruction set (just for the record: I love x86!) Laughing

Seriously, it comes with a heavy burden of many thousand complex individual characters, it encumbers these people and condemns them to cram huge volumes of raw data while they could do so many better things with their brains!

And it's just because their medieval lords were in love with Chinese culture, so much that they uncritically imported their writing system that

a.) had unnecessary complexity that didn't serve the purpose it had been developed for. Its independence from pronunciation helped the communication of a big multilingual empire.

b.) Didn't even fit their language. The structure of Japanese (an agglutinating language) is very different from that of Chinese. This is part of why they use three different sets of characters now. Chinese characters just don't support inflexion. It's a patch that was added later by Japanese and it's a classic example of a bad patch :D

In the meantime the ladies of the Japanese court recognized the problems and just stripped the Kanji from their meaning and used a simplified form to mark the syllables of Japanese language. I firmly think their husbands should have learned from them as this was a superior solution for the given problem.
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 pm

I will protect Japanese writing system with my everything!

Human brain is not a confined space that may be filled with this or that while everything you memorize takes out the free space you could use for something different. The brain actually develops when used to memorize complex systems since childhood. The more memorizing the more space for new information is created!

Also, Japanese language has too little sounds to create the amount of words that would be sufficient for describing the modern world - you can talk casually using sounds that have no meaning on their own but writing down a complex issues in books or articles requires precision that can be granted only with usage of characters having their own respective meaning. Japanese has way too much homonyms that make the language too ambigious to be used in writings concerning matters of science, for instance.

Sorry I have just watched 3 eps of some anime where they make many competetive speeches so I have catched the manner of speaking!
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:41 am

SockPuppet wrote:
Japanese has way too much homonyms that make the language too ambigious to be used in writings concerning matters of science, for instance.

Sorry I have just watched 3 eps of some anime where they make many competetive speeches so I have catched the manner of speaking!

I must address this point because this is one of the most common argument in the protection of this obscurity.

For the first, it looks like a good point. But! Japanese have to understand each other without carrying subtitle boards. And it's way too inconvenient to talk like this:

"Last night (I mean the dark part of the day) when I was going home (I mean the place where I live) a deer (not the luxury woman nor the vehicle but the cloven hoofed animal) jumped through the road right before my car (a vehicle this time) and I couldn't stop (as in come to a halt) in time. This is why I'm late and this is why my nose looks like this. I bumped it into the windscreen. Oh, sorry, I spoke too fast, I didn't meant to offend your respectable family I just tried to tell you that the animal is the cause for the frontmost sensory organ on my head (topmost large part of my body) being so swollen now. And sorry for being late again."

I can't imagine they really speak like this. Even anime characters don't. They must have a way to understand each other's speech without written explanation (the exact opposite of furigana). If they don't well, it's high time for them to reform their whole language not only the writing system that literally takes away precious years of their life.

(But I know that because it makes learning Japanese ridiculously hard for a gaijin like me they see it as a proof of they being special and effectively isolate them from the rest of the world - they're fond of it and choose to suffer to have this pet obstacle.)

Also I'm enjoying this conversation :) But a "true" Japanese might want to crucify me for these thoughts  Happy Hop

(I showed their writing in this same light in the 5th chapter of Tomb Raider and the Angel Of Death where medieval Japanese gives our favorite archaeologist a hard time (but a hint too) to decipher a reference on some Law of the Circle or something similar...

Last edited by alvaro84 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am

Generally Japanese people like being ambigious in their communication, they believe it allows them avoid being explicitely impolite. Aristocratic ladies you have mentioned liked their love letters having multiple meanings and they enjoyed writing/speaking words that might have been interpreted in many various ways. Meanwhile Japanese men could not afford to write in such vague fashion while writing formal documents about economy and politics and stuff.

In Japanese you must be careful about social context in order to understand anything. You know, for example the word 'chichi' has 3 meaning - breast, milk, father XD so it is essential to know the context while talking to someone but when writing some serious stuff you cannot rely on context, otherwise the risk of misunderstanding would be high.

Also Revo use Japanese writing-speaking system in such adorably ingenious way! I love it.
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

This difference is quite interesting. Sometimes I mull over how I surely can't write truly Japanese stories with my Japanese characters.

It has many reasons.

1.) My stories are even crossovers with Western series (TV series Fringe and game series Tomb Raider).

2.) Madoka Madoka itself shows characters with strong individuality which is already kind of a deviance in the Japanese society. Madoka's family is a very modern one, certainly very different from their traditions - or even ours.

3.) I myself can't and don't want to submit to the Japanese mindset. I strongly believe in individuality and it reflects in my characters. I'm also influenced by my Western (in comparison to Japan) origin. It brings up another question, one I don't think you could answer: How much being Eastern European shows in my stories? How much is it there, and how much is the effect of my individual mythology and personality?
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:46 am

I am not writing any story currently but I have a biiiig inner world filled with characters, stories and headcanons and I like to use themes from Japanese culture and tradition but I do not relate to traditional Japanese way of thinking either. But I also do not relate to typical modern ways of thinking. Actually, my universe is pretty politically incorrect and has some conservative vibe.

I do crossovers as well! I crossed MadoMagi over with Sailor Moon, Kuroshitsuji, Attack on Titan and some other stuff also I added many OCs who are way all overpowered Mary Sues and I massacred the canon. I love massacring canons.
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm

SockPuppet wrote:
I love massacring canons.

I don't. I just re-interpret and extend and twist it into new shapes that are visible from new points of view.

What is "typical modern way", btw? I don't really understand people today but there's a lot I don't understand from the past and probably I won't fully understand future. I'm different, I can't help it. My conservative is a different conservative and my modern may be transhuman. I support the Sakura Church, though Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm

I will be honest: by 'typical modern way of thinking' I mean 'typical tumblr user's way of thinking'. I sit on tumblr too much, even if I disagree with majority of the community's views.

Well, in my world girls are delicate, flawless human beings incapable of violence and thus unable to fight (there is one girl who actually fights but she is being controlled by chaotic neutral pro bard, he is just using her as a marionette), they are fragile and cute and perfect, I mean, my OCs. They are all Mary Sue. Meanwhile, boys are the ones to use brute force, I believe many ppl would impale me for  forcing traditional gender stereotypes upon my characters but I love them this way!

Plus almost all my female OCs (one minor exception for a wereduck but she is a minor character) are human while almost all my non-human OCs are male because, you know, I love non-human male characters!

An important location in my world is Kingdom of Pole Star that is land of my dreams. There is no atheism, homosexualism (this one is important story-wise) and depression there (again, I am gonna be impaled if they find me XD). There is one very important character who often changes their gender but they are not trans/queer/non-binary, they are just a victim of a mad scientist so this do not rly counts.

Also there is lots of Catholic propaganda because. I love my world!
Back to top Go down
The Witch's House
Grief Seed

The Witch's House

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 am

I finally got a good picture of 2 magical girls I designed the other day; I didn't want to tear them out of my sketch book because keeping it together would be too much of a hassle and could result in them falling out and getting damaged.

This is the magical girl for the witch I posted earlier, her name is Misha Kiyomi~

This other magical girl is her former friend and her name is Shiori Tenjou~
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 am

They look badass
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 am

SockPuppet wrote:
I will be honest: by 'typical modern way of thinking' I mean 'typical tumblr user's way of thinking'. I sit on tumblr too much, even if I disagree with majority of the community's views.

Oh. I don't (want to?) know in depth what that is. Maybe it doesn't even have depth. Whatever. But I see shallow thinking in real life too.

Quote :

Well, in my world girls are delicate, flawless human beings incapable of violence and thus unable to fight (there is one girl who actually fights but she is being controlled by chaotic neutral pro bard, he is just using her as a marionette), they are fragile and cute and perfect, I mean, my OCs. They are all Mary Sue. Meanwhile, boys are the ones to use brute force, I believe many ppl would impale me for  forcing traditional gender stereotypes upon my characters but I love them this way!

No, I won't impale you. It's your world, these are your stories that I haven't even seen. Who am I to play Thought Police?  Juggle

But I can say that my (borrowed) characters are very different. Though my girls don't often use inappropriate language this is all I can say that fits stereotypes. Even though they're usually quite delicate they can and will fight if they have to. I know Homura and Madoka well enough to know that they don't like to so they need a really good reason, like saving civilians from a witch's labyrinth or looking for their good friend Kyouko who disappeared in a research facility hidden in the desert somewhere in Namibia. And if you're looking for brute force just wait for Lara (or her shadow) to run out of smart options Big Smile

And they're absolutely capable of judging people who deserve it, including their own parents. Homura's family definitely falls into this category. (On a side note: I was FURIOUS when I watched Mirai Nikki and Yukiteru forgave and trusted his father who was an obvious asshole and betrayed and almost killed him. There are people who just deserve not to be trusted anymore). They can even have shady reasons and plans, like Oriko or... no, I won't spoil what I haven't even written yet... Sweatdrop But this is an old pet idea of me, based on a certain story in the Bible.

And these characters all have flaws and weaknesses. I love Homura because she's flawed to begin with...

Quote :

Plus almost all my female OCs (one minor exception for a wereduck but she is a minor character) are human while almost all my non-human OCs are male because, you know, I love non-human male characters!

Hm. I have a human OC in GOSE, Nyameka Gretel Mathibe. She has an accidental role in a real monstrosity. Kyouko runs into her in the mentioned research facility and saves her from turning into a witch. This is one of the main jobs of my post-magical girls anyway.

And I have new familiars for existing girls. Mei is a little Paravian creature (a raptor or proto-bird), an evolved version of Homura's earring lizard. And Kouki (Curiosity) is a Lara Doll Happy Hop

I don't have many original witches. Maybe the Anglerfish witch in Namibia whose name is unknown. The other new witch in my writings (Alice Liddell) belongs to Louis Carroll and American McGee so she's not mine...

Quote :

An important location in my world is Kingdom of Pole Star that is land of my dreams. There is no atheism, homosexualism (this one is important story-wise) and depression there (again, I am gonna be impaled if they find me XD). There is one very important character who often changes their gender but they are not trans/queer/non-binary, they are just a victim of a mad scientist so this do not rly counts.

Also there is lots of Catholic propaganda because. I love my world!

I have multiple parts/stages of my world(s). One is a near future (Wait. It's past now.) semi-real world, the crossover of PMMM and Fringe. It's parallel of Akuma Homura's world. And there's another stage (derailed timeline) which is TRAOD's world which has the new principle called the Law of Cycles (or whatever it should be called).

Atheism, there's probably a lot. Religion is not a cardinal question there. And religions are not untouchable at all. Kyouko wants to give a piece of her mind to a god. Or a Goddess in that case. As a priest's daughter she has the privilege, she says. Queen Himiko calls the Law Of Cycles the greatest robber. Of course she's right in a sense. Death takes us all.

Homosexualism, that does definitely exist. How else could I ship my OTP? Wink But it isn't a shipping fic. It isn't even gender study. Of course their relationship is important and a base of like everything but it's just a fact, natural really. And of course there are people who hate or envy the Veterans of Walpurgisnacht, it's inevitable. No one can be loved by everyone, trying to be good girls just isn't good enough for some. Especially if they're homophobic. And traitors of humanity, with barcode tattoos on their faces. Yes, Chitose Masako, I'm looking at you Nod

Catholic propaganda, that is unknown where the girls are. No Christian religion could grow strong enough in Japan. But my head canon is that the US had a conservative revolution after Walpurgisnacht and the influencers want to see Dr Walter Bishop executed or at least imprisoned for the rest of his life - but they aren't as almighty as they'd like to see themselves.

Last edited by alvaro84 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 am

The Witch's House wrote:

This one I like, do you work out bios for your characters?
Back to top Go down
The Witch's House
Grief Seed

The Witch's House

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:01 pm

alvaro84 wrote:
The Witch's House wrote:

This one I like, do you work out bios for your characters?

Yep I do. I kinda have a story idea in mind with these 2:

Click for Basis:
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 am

https://rosajoker.deviantart.com/art/Elastyczne-rece-727668872 once again my OC Izabela in her full magical girl attire.
https://rosajoker.deviantart.com/art/not-mine-character-717707941 idea of the witch is someone's else but design and picture is by me so this is a collaboration.
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 am

SockPuppet wrote:
https://rosajoker.deviantart.com/art/Elastyczne-rece-727668872 once again my OC Izabela in her full magical girl attire.

OMG. This attire makes her look like balancing over the edge of witching out...
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

It is just fancy design...Actually she is supposed to be a calm and composed mom friend just with very peculiar aesthetic taste.
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 am

Members' fanwork - Page 3 A_girl_with_transparent_background_by_rosajoker-dc2nn7bI made her transparent! She is Róża, one of my magical girl OCs.
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:17 am

Members' fanwork - Page 3 Another_transparent_human_by_rosajoker-dc3zi0h
another OC, her name is Cecylia and she is my Mary Sue

Members' fanwork - Page 3 Purified_version_2_by_rosajoker-dc4n8s8
long, long story. Basically familiars from the show but modified.
Back to top Go down
alvaro84
Familiar

alvaro84

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am

Cecylia is pretty and the Bad Bird Boy is... hilarious...?  Happy Hop
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

SockPuppet

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am

He is supposed to be hilarious. At least I gave him some decent clothes because the original familiar I based this one on was almost non-decent XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Members' fanwork   

Back to top Go down

Members' fanwork
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Witch's Labyrinth :: Downtown :: Member's Hotel-