10% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar
Title : Seyiku is beauty

PostSubject: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:05 pm

I've noticed that most of us have a favorite character, so I'm curious as to the reasons why you all picked your favorite to be your favorite. Also, I created a poll, so that we can see the distribution of the favorites, both now and as this forum grows bigger. Nod

I'll start: Sayaka is my favorite because I relate to her desire for justice in the world and I admire her resilience and strong morals (even though those things ended up contributing to her downfall).Sayaka

Sayaka's Soul Gem  In case you haven't noticed, I really like Sayaka Miki.SayakaSayaka's Soul Gem
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SockPuppet
Familiar

Familiar
Title : Holy Knight Maiden

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:25 pm

I also like Sayaka the most. I dunno, she's just cool.

I hope all of you watching sailor moon are enjoying the parasites revo injected into your body while the opening was playing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://skarpetkowa.tumblr.com/
Mami Tomoe
Founder

Founder
Title : The Yellow One

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:33 pm

My favorite character is Mami, obviously since I could of chosen to go by the name of any magical girl and picked her =P My main reason originally of liking her was just because she has a steampunk look and I love steampunk fashion xD But once I watched the anime and everything, I just feel for her in so many ways, especially after reading Different Story and such. She puts on a strong front like she doesn't care that the people she loves/cares for keeps leaving her, but really she's broken by it. I know how that feels as many people in my life have left me when I thought we'd be friends forever. I know what it feels like to put on a happy face and act a certain way just to hide the broken pieces. So yeah xD She's my fav though I love all the characters! Kyoko a close second though! xD

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : Puella Magi

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Kyoko's a real darling to me. Even though I consider Madoka to be such an inspiring character, I can't help but love Kyoko because of how much I relate to her. We're both PK's and we're both pretty fiery and quick to pick fights, but we're also both strong idealists. I love Kyoko's "never say die" attitude and her ability to tell it like it is. She's so brave and cool-- and I love her outfit ^u^

Back to top Go down
View user profile
soulgems
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:49 pm

My favorite's Kyoko! I love her spunkiness and unafraid attitude, it's something I always wish I had. I relate to her story a lot, giving up everything for someone you thought would be there for you always hit a bit too close to home for me. I also relate to her ability to pick fights rather quickly bc I too have a hard time getting along with people lol. I love her design too, she's so pretty! Her outfit is my favorite out of all the girls. <3

MadokaHeart Pulse Homura
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hyper Blossom
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : Sayasuke fangirlSool Jim turn to Gref Sid|Witch of Broken Hearts

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 pm

My favourite is Sayaka, because she is brave, silly and has a strong desire for justice. While this does lead to her clashes with Kyoko, it's still nice to see her want to make Mami's legacy live on. Her downfall was one of the most heartbreaking moments of the series.  Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Hyper Blossom wrote:
Her downfall was one of the most heartbreaking moments of the series.  Sad
I know right D: My heart wrenches whenever I think about that part of the series, I feel so much for her ;n;

It seems like, at least currently, most of the people here seem to like Sayaka or Kyoko. Interesting :o

Sayaka's Soul Gem  In case you haven't noticed, I really like Sayaka Miki.SayakaSayaka's Soul Gem
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 am

sayakasfav wrote:
It seems like, at least currently, most of the people here seem to like Sayaka or Kyoko. Interesting :o

That is kinda weird... But I guess it makes sense in a way. Kyoko and Sayaka's arc makes up most of the mid-season climax of the show, and both had very emotionally charged plotlines. They're woobie-tastic, second only to Homura, who lost a lot of her fans after Rebellion. And with the other two, Mami wasn't around for very long, and up until the end Madoka was more of a passive observer. She didn't have too many ~unique and interesting traits~ that made her different from the average crybaby anime girl until the last episode, so really she has the same issue as Mami. So I guess Kyoko and Sayaka had the strongest/most dynamic/most prominent character arcs, making them most memorable/relatable?? idk

But of course, I love every character just about equally... All of them are just too wonderful, even saying "my favorite is kyoko" feels blasphemous! I just love all the girls so muuuuuuch... ;0;

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alvaro84
Familiar

Familiar
Title : Homura-chan's selfishness

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Mkay. I'm here. I'm a rabid Homura fan. Even after Rebellion. But I see them all human and understandable and likable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alvaro84.deviantart.com/
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Harrikkomori wrote:
sayakasfav wrote:

That is kinda weird... But I guess it makes sense in a way. Kyoko and Sayaka's arc makes up most of the mid-season climax of the show, and both had very emotionally charged plotlines. They're woobie-tastic, second only to Homura, who lost a lot of her fans after Rebellion. And with the other two, Mami wasn't around for very long, and up until the end Madoka was more of a passive observer. She didn't have too many ~unique and interesting traits~ that made her different from the average crybaby anime girl until the last episode, so really she has the same issue as Mami. So I guess Kyoko and Sayaka had the strongest/most dynamic/most prominent character arcs, making them most memorable/relatable?? idk
Yeah, I think you're right. Plus, Sayaka's and Kyoko's arcs happened before Homura's, so I suppose that might play into it as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:19 pm

sayakasfav wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right. Plus, Sayaka's and Kyoko's arcs happened before Homura's, so I suppose that might play into it as well.
I guess the mid-season is just in general the most memorable because it's the most emotionally charged. Though I love Mami's arc at the beginning and adore the ending (one of the best endings I've seen to almost any piece of media) and the resolution with Madoka and Homura, the climax was so thrilling and truamatizing it's very easy to get attached to the two who were of debatable "center stage" in that third of the story

Or it could be that people's favorites are based on how much pain the character in question is put through, in which case I'd say Sayaka and Homura tying for first if only because so much of Homur'a suffering is offscreen, Kyoko with her family's murder/suicide story, Mami's loneliness and dead parents, and then Madoka.

But also Madoka's like my second fave so ^-^'

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Harrikkomori wrote:
Or it could be that people's favorites are based on how much pain the character in question is put through, in which case I'd say Sayaka and Homura tying for first if only because so much of Homur'a suffering is offscreen, Kyoko with her family's murder/suicide story, Mami's loneliness and dead parents, and then Madoka.

I think you're onto something here, since the three main characters that seem to be people's favorites across the fandom are Homura, Kyoko, and Sayaka. Maybe the type of pain is important as well? At least in my case, I think Sayaka's despair over the unfairness of the world + her self-sacrificial nature may have hit a bit close to home. And I know that for others that like Sayaka best as well, they tend to cite her relatability as an important factor.

Also, I suspect that certain kinds of people tend to like certain kinds of characters, as I've usually gone for characters who are at least somewhat similar to Sayaka in the past. And I remember when a friend of mine watched PMMM a little while ago, I accurately predicted who her favorite would be. But as for what attracts those people to those characters, I'm not entirely sure. I think relatability is important, but I doubt it's the only, or even the defining factor.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:25 pm

sayakasfav wrote:
I think you're onto something here, since the three main characters that seem to be people's favorites across the fandom are Homura, Kyoko, and Sayaka. Maybe the type of pain is important as well? At least in my case, I think Sayaka's despair over the unfairness of the world + her self-sacrificial nature may have hit a bit close to home. And I know that for others that like Sayaka best as well, they tend to cite her relatability as an important factor.

This seems to play a big factor too. With Sayaka, almost everyone (espeically girls of that age) can relate to her body-image issues/feeling unworthy-of-love story, since despite it's magical twist, it's very much steeped in the reality of how it feels to be 14 and afraid. Not to mention the age-old "I was trying to do the right thing but I kept screwing it up" sob story. I definitely found her more than a little relatable with her "hero of justice" persona gone wrong. I feel like in her place, I'd make a lot of the same decisions.

And, after all, I love Kyoko and I know that the "oh, she's a PK, like me!" factor plays a big role. I could put myself in the character because we shared a common ground. Which, honestly, I think is PMMM's strong suit. Each character has a very magical and otherworldly character arc, but all of them are based on everyday issues one may encounter from time to time. Who hasn't felt Mami's loneliness and need to put up a strong front? Or Madoka's feeling of helplessness and uselessness? Kyoko acts in a standoffish way to keep herself from being hurt, which everyone's done at some point or another. Sayaka has one of the most relatable and understandable descents into madness I've seen, and hit home to me as someone who watched the series as a 14 year old girl.

I think Homura's story is the most "out there", but still feels like something you can put yourself into. Since you yourself are watching the show and wishing you could do something for these characters you've grown attached to. And who hasn't has a slump at some point in their lives that felt like day-in-day-out, nothing worked out in their favor? Or had this daydream of being able to protect their loved ones in some sort of upcoming zombie apocolypse? She's someone you want to cheer for, and a character that really puts you in their shoes, taking you on her journey from feeling pointless and depressed to being "found" and "saved" by Madoka.

Basically the character arc design in this anime is really good  Madoka Homura Mami Kyoko Sayaka

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Harrikkomori wrote:
sayakasfav wrote:

This seems to play a big factor too. With Sayaka, almost everyone (espeically girls of that age) can relate to her body-image issues/feeling unworthy-of-love story, since despite it's magical twist, it's very much steeped in the reality of how it feels to be 14 and afraid. Not to mention the age-old "I was trying to do the right thing but I kept screwing it up" sob story. I definitely found her more than a little relatable with her "hero of justice" persona gone wrong. I feel like in her place, I'd make a lot of the same decisions.

And, after all, I love Kyoko and I know that the "oh, she's a PK, like me!" factor plays a big role. I could put myself in the character because we shared a common ground. Which, honestly, I think is PMMM's strong suit. Each character has a very magical and otherworldly character arc, but all of them are based on everyday issues one may encounter from time to time. Who hasn't felt Mami's loneliness and need to put up a strong front? Or Madoka's feeling of helplessness and uselessness? Kyoko acts in a standoffish way to keep herself from being hurt, which everyone's done at some point or another. Sayaka has one of the most relatable and understandable descents into madness I've seen, and hit home to me as someone who watched the series as a 14 year old girl.

I think Homura's story is the most "out there", but still feels like something you can put yourself into. Since you yourself are watching the show and wishing you could do something for these characters you've grown attached to. And who hasn't has a slump at some point in their lives that felt like day-in-day-out, nothing worked out in their favor? Or had this daydream of being able to protect their loved ones in some sort of upcoming zombie apocolypse? She's someone you want to cheer for, and a character that really puts you in their shoes, taking you on her journey from feeling pointless and depressed to being "found" and "saved" by Madoka.

Basically the character arc design in this anime is really good  Madoka Homura Mami Kyoko Sayaka
I couldn't have said it better myself. There's definitely a bit of relatability in each of them, which is what makes us feel so much for the characters as we watch the story unfold. I think, to some extent, what compels us to choose a favorite is simply a matter of who its easiest to understand and empathize with. Although, they are all pretty easy to like and relate to (at least in my opinion).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:21 pm

sayakasfav wrote:
I think, to some extent, what compels us to choose a favorite is simply a matter of who its easiest to understand and empathize with. Although, they are all pretty easy to like and relate to (at least in my opinion).
I totally agree. It's actually really hard to pick a favorite from among them, they're all such dynamic characters that each have a totally different vibe and give the story totally new angles. And each of the character designs are so pretty and fun to look at, even picking a favorite outfit seems challenging!! I adore Kyoko, but even my least favorite (sadly, Homura) I love basically just as much. They're all so near and dear, it's hard to even say I have a "least favorite". It's like picking a favorite child!! DDD: I love each of them in unique ways, so my "Favorites" list is more of a "Which Ones I Most Relate To" list...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:29 am

Harrikkomori wrote:
It's actually really hard to pick a favorite from among them, they're all such dynamic characters that each have a totally different vibe and give the story totally new angles. And each of the character designs are so pretty and fun to look at, even picking a favorite outfit seems challenging!! I adore Kyoko, but even my least favorite (sadly, Homura) I love basically just as much. They're all so near and dear, it's hard to even say I have a "least favorite". It's like picking a favorite child!! DDD:
Ditto. They're all so wonderful, I initially found it quite hard to pick a favorite Madoka Homura Mami Kyoko Sayaka

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MilkyKitten
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : The Hopeful Witch

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:40 am

I know she didn't have a big role until the end, but I always felt attached to Madoka and could somewhat relate to her.

I never felt really important either, and tbh I'm rather average also which helped me see things from her perspective (I would also cry a lot on the situations she was in tbh. ;w; ).

Seeing her able to be brave in the end and make the choice she needed was also great, because I like how selfless and courageous she was to fool Kyubey in order to make the end of a Magical Girl's life no longer end in suffering.

I'm still a Madoka fan, and I respect her for the decision she made in the end. ^^

~If someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every time~ Madoka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:20 pm

I think you're the first one here who's favorite is Madoka, MilkyKitten :o

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MilkyKitten
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : The Hopeful Witch

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:49 am

Yeah, I have noticed! xD

I don't tend to find many people who also have Madoka is their fav though, so I'm not surprised. ^^

~If someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every time~ Madoka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alvaro84
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:02 am

I'm not one to have Madoka as the fav either, but I definitely respect and understand Homura's choice :)
Back to top Go down
SockPuppet
Familiar

Familiar
Title : Holy Knight Maiden

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:36 am

Unfortunately, I don't find any of PMMM characters relatable to me. I don't share any personal traits with any of them. In whole anime world there are very few characters I can relate to, unfortunately.

I hope all of you watching sailor moon are enjoying the parasites revo injected into your body while the opening was playing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://skarpetkowa.tumblr.com/
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:19 pm

SockPuppet wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't find any of PMMM characters relatable to me. I don't share any personal traits with any of them. In whole anime world there are very few characters I can relate to, unfortunately.
Yeah, I suppose it's inevitable that not everyone will find them relatable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrikkomori
Grief Seed

Grief Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:40 pm

MilkyKitten wrote:
I don't tend to find many people who also have Madoka is their fav though, so I'm not surprised. ^^
Yeah, she's a pretty divisive character amongst fans. For me though, she was definitely my second favorite. She means a lot to me, and I'll admit I get a little too defensive when people say she had "no personality", was "annoying", or was "completely useless until the end". I also just adore her design ^^ sooooo muuuuuch piiiiiink~~~ <3

viva la madokidoki 2k16  Madoka

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alvaro84
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm similar here. Madoka hesitates a lot of course but I have always found it realistic and understandable enough. I really can't blame her for not rushing headfirst into something stupid. There's someone else for that anyway. She showed quite a bit of wisdom too in the end. She used her time of hesitation quite well and I also really can't blame her world's flaws on her.

As for being annoying, I've seen annoying magical girls, she's not one of them.
Back to top Go down
sayakasfav
Familiar

Familiar

PostSubject: Re: The Favorite Character Thread   Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:10 pm

alvaro84 wrote:
I'm similar here. Madoka hesitates a lot of course but I have always found it realistic and understandable enough. I really can't blame her for not rushing headfirst into something stupid. There's someone else for that anyway. She showed quite a bit of wisdom too in the end. She used her time of hesitation quite well and I also really can't blame her world's flaws on her.
^^^
Harrikkomori wrote:
Yeah, she's a pretty divisive character amongst fans. For me though, she was definitely my second favorite. She means a lot to me, and I'll admit I get a little too defensive when people say she had "no personality", was "annoying", or was "completely useless until the end".
Same. It's pretty annoying how some people seem to think her having a nice personality was equivalent to no personality. :/

Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Favorite Character Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1