Same designs, different art styles?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
McKnight
Grief Seed

Grief Seed
Title : Wind Pier

PostSubject: Same designs, different art styles?   Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 am

So, we all know that the characters in the original PMMM anime were designed by Ume Aoki. I know the different manga installments were illustrated by various different people, which is why the characters all look different in design from the anime. However, I've noticed that different anime-related media, despite the consistent designs with the anime, have different artistic tones.

Here, to start with, is a screenshot gallery index for the anime itself:

http://animescreencaps.com/index.php?1401-Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica_Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka%E2%98%85Magica

Here is a compilation of cards from the original mobile game:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/421790321327171293/

And here is the upcoming Magia Record, that I just gave its own thread the other day:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-26/madoka-magica-magia-record-smartphone-game-reveals-key-visual-story/.110367

Why, for example, does that illustration for MR look "softer" (for lack of a better word) than the anime and original mobage?

The reason I'm asking has to do with my fanfic project (especially related artwork), particularly how it's meant to account for everyone canon (or pseudo-canon) to the official Madoka franchise. Namely, the appearances of certain characters towards the end of the one fanfic already written. In my mind, I tend to picture everything that goes on to match the anime (only natural, since manga tends to lack color), and it would be great if I could at least picture Oriko, Kirika, and the Pleiades Saints consistently with the main five. (And yes, I've seen some of the same characters' cards from PMMM Online, and such style dissonance between characters has got to have looked awkward to some people. Chalk it up to laziness, I guess, if the designers just couldn't be bothered to assimilate anyone.)

I do get the saying, don't put all your eggs into one basket, or in my case, commission one artist exclusively for all pics and characters. So far, I've got four different artists working on different things (including the different characters in their normal body type).

Other than that, this must have something to do with OCD. Considering that even the franchise itself didn't design everything consistently (and we're not even talking about art evolution), how can I expect to fulfill utmost consistency among everything I specifically commission for? In fact, why is that desire even there? Even if I ever do have all the different Magical Girls to date all assimilated, there will always be more as long as the franchise remains active.

Anyone have thoughts on all that?

They paid a heavy price...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Same designs, different art styles?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1